Sunday, September 24, 2006

Chinese Islanders

This afternoon Carolyn and I went to the book launching of "Chinese islanders" by Hung-Min Chiang. It was a wonderful afternoon and very worthwhile. It was the first book launching that Carolyn or I had ever been too so we felt very grown up. It started out with Shirley Bryce singing a song she wrote for her daughter Jenny as she waited to travel to China ( I think you can still hear a sampling of this by clicking on Debbie and Shane's link on my sidebar as they have her CD on their blog) It was beautiful and resulted in Carolyn and I inconspicuously(sp?) snuffling and wiping our eyes! Then we heard a variety of speakers who contributed to the book and it's completion. We heard from Min and he read some exerpts from the book. After there was a lady (Chor-wai Hui) that played Guzheng music and then there was "real" Chinese food prepeared by Min's wife and a lady that had just arrived from China. Carolyn and I both got our books signed by Min and he was so nice and seemed so gentle. He used to be a professor at UPEI( but that was before I went there). Carolyn and I were both happy that we went and agreed that this book would be a good keepsake for our daughters. There is a section at the back called "New Immigrants" and it is about the group of Isanders that have adopted from China and it has some pictures of some familiar faces from our peichinaadopt group in there. Well, I better go and watch the season premier of Desperate House Wives with my mom and sister.

4 comments:

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

So glad we went together! Thanks for holding my hand when we both started sniffling...but who could help it, right? Great day. Hope it's a great week too. Referrals tomorrow should tell the tale.....
xo

Deb said...

I wish I would have gone.
Speaking of Chinese food Jaclyn and I tried sushi for the 1st time. Not a big fan.
Have a great week, Have fun with Carolyn tomorrow!!!!! I'm sure she will; be very anxious!
*HUGABUGS*

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Sounds like you had a good time. Don't worry about the sniffing.... it's a good thing!

Janet T.

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Sounds like a very interesting way to spend an afternoon! Glad you enjoyed it!